Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sudden blog attack...

Hello there,

Sorry I haven't blogged for ages. Here was I promising a blog a week and low and behold it's been what...three? *gulp*

No excuses really apart from it's been kinda busy with stuff here at Tweddley mansions (even after four years in LA, we still find negotiating parts of everyday American life like complete foreigners)
and also - and this is a little embarrassing- (not as embarrassing as Alan Cumming waving to me across a bar, to tell me I had my skirt tucked in to my tights at the back *still blushing*) but I managed to restart my computer and couldn't remember how to get back in to my own blog.

I know. I'm ashamed. And, considering we've started our company offering branding and vids etc and help for people who "want to learn more about social media" this fact alone categorizes me as a complete tool.
But adult life brings with it a whole list of "to be done lists"  and the advance of social media at the moment, feels faster than a speeding three year old at a pick and mix counter.

Anyway, that sort of brings me to my point with the blog.
Two stories I read on twitter this morning in bed. (I used to read newspapers of a Sunday morning, but that ground to a halt, what with the arrival of children and the departure of newspapers)
So, one was about the anti gay Scottish Cardinal being gropey with male priests  - what a surprise - IMHO seems the people who shout the loudest about other peoples lack of morals, are generally trying to deflect attention from the lack of their own.
The other was the demonstration in Paris against gay marriage.
And you know what? I was annoyed.
(more annoyed, in fact, than I was when my "friend" didn't tell me I had my skirt tucked into my tights at the back, so Alan Cumming had to)

Can we all just get over this? If two people are in love and want to marry each other, it's nothing to do with you (unless you're paying for it or you have to wear a bridesmaid's dress - in which case, OK, fair enough).

Every day I go online, and there's some story about the new creation of some 'social media platform" that I'll have to get my head round, and get a password for, and work out how and when to use it, and whether the privacy is safe and I have a little panic.

Every day!
It's in there, nestling between the same old "day-in day-out"  trusty stories:
Somebody somewhere is really mad at gay people for having done something. Some fat, drug abusing, public media hypocrite is cranking on about homosexuals decaying the moral fibre of the world, whilst simultaneously displaying absolutely NO moral fibre of his own. Someplace somewhere said gay people could marry and so somebody else at that place is organizing some kind of campaign to repeal it.

Please, let's move on.
If you don't like homosexuals, I'm sorry.  I personally don't like pan pipe bands, so I just do my best to ignore them.
There are a wealth of problems in the world. If two consenting people want to get married and make something loving and positive, then stop thinking about what genitalia they have and mind your own business.

Besides, every single second technology is moving on and a new social networking site is being created. Technology is now moving on faster than people.
Whilst you've been concerning yourself about what those darned gays get to be allowed to do in front of your very eyes, you've no idea what those computers have been getting up to behind your back.  There's no stopping progress.

My friends Michael and Clark made this video. It's about love.

http://vimeo.com/57651781

5 comments:

  1. I think I'm starting to figure out the "opposition" to same sex marriage in the US. Remember how after Newtown people started to figure out that most of the opposition to things like assault weapons bans was coming not from 2nd Amendment enthusiasts, but from gun manufacturers? I suspect it's the same here - money disguised as morality. Same sex couples spend a lot of money they wouldn't have to pay if their marriages were fully recognized legally. Some people have to pay for expensive health insurance because they can't get covered under their same sex partner's policy. "Cha-ching" goes the insurance company. And they have weird tax burdens, like the 83-year-old woman in one of the current Supreme Court cases who somehow had to pay $363,000 in estate taxes under federal law even though she and her partner were legally married. Apparently the government needs to get its money from 83-year-old widows, as it can't just go around taxing the "job creators," now can it... Maybe this sounds a little conspiracy-theory-ish, but modern US political history suggests whenever there's "moral" opposition to something, morality = money.

    Just my 2 cents. Er, 2 scruples?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it sounds conspiracy theory-ish at all. I think it sounds like the only reasonable explanation for it continuing. It makes as much sense as forbidding people who have blue eyes to marry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think uebergeek has a valid point about money being part of it. The other part I think is the "ick" factor. Gay marriage? Oh, what they do behind closed doors is "icky" and I don't want to think about it, so I'm going to deny them the right to something I have because if they can have it too, it means that what I do behind closed doors is "icky" too! Oh for goodness sake people, grow the fark up! Let them be as miserable or as happy as the rest of us! It's not going to make you a bad person. In fact, if you support them, it will make you a better person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it odd that anyone makes such a fuss. My "boyfriend" (we are in our 50's now, it just sounds silly!) and I have been living together for almost 11 years now and it seems that by "common law" we are considered married! This bugs the bejesus out of me since I never agreed to any such nonsense. So not only do they forbid gays from marrying, they arbitrarily declare straight people married against their wills! It's Hell in a hand basket time, people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, Susan Cosier makes a great point! So maybe if this whole SCOTUS thing doesn't work out, Congress can just create a cap and trade market through which straight couples can transfer their unwanted marriages to gay couples. Thus creating additional markets for marriage-transfer brokers and attorneys - not to mention all the people you'd have to hire to make sure your previously-owned marriage didn't have hidden cracks or mold and wasn't built on a Native American burial ground. Ah, wonderful.. finally marriage can stop freeloading off of government and become a productive member of our economy. Marriage equality the Milton Friedman way - straight or gay, buy a marriage today!

    ReplyDelete